Thursday, December 2, 2010

Needtobreathe Concert.

The day is December 1st, 2010. The time: 1:30 PM. I remember that my all time favorite band is playing just 2 hours away that very night. I get this instant uncontrollable urge to go. I ask Becca if she would be willing, she is. Despite the fact that we get $95 this month for food, we decide it is worth it. Youth is wasted on the young, but not tonight. Tonight we will seize the day, or the night. Tonight we will seize the night! We buy tickets and at 5:00 PM that night we head to Dallas.

We arrive at the Dallas House of Blues retrieve our tickets at will call and head to the back of the line. On our walk to the back of the ever-growing line we get stopped by a security guard, later to be named Eddie. He asks us if we were 21. To which I replied, "yes". He sent us to the VIP Diamond Lounge around the corner with instructions to tell them "Eddie sent us". So we listen. I walk into the door with new found confidence that "Eddie" was my ticket in. I show the girl at the door my ID and say those magic words "Eddie sent us". She looked slightly less then totally unenthusiastic and asked Becca for her ID. Which she did not have. So despite our ticket in, our smashing good looks and our obvious fun personalities - we were sent to the back of the now incredibly long line to wait with the commoners.

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity we manage to bob and weave our way to a decently close part in line. This part in line was directly in front of a set of windows that looked into the attached restaurant we proceeded to people watch and snap a few pictures.
Magpies

Finally we were let inside. This part in the concert experience is by far the worst. It is like no one has ever been to a concert before. Everyone that surrounds you seems to be particularly chatty and/or in love. They talk about the decorations, the venue, the band, a favorite song, or just make out. Don't get me wrong I love Needtobreathe. A lot. I want everyone to enjoy them in concert as much as I do. However, it almost cheapens it when everyone is there. It takes away from my experience.


After an agonizing wait the opening band came on. The Daylights. I had never heard of them before last night but I was really impressed. They have a great sound and the two singers are brothers and their voices blend together beautifully.







Then Needtobreathe finally came on stage. They started with just back spots as they music got louder and louder. I loved it. They opened with Prisoner. One of the things I love about Needtobreathe is seeing them live. They have such an energy on stage. They captivate an audience with their undeniable talent and contagious energy.

They next song was Quit from the Album 'Daylight', followed by More Time, Girl Named Tennessee (one of my top 5), then they played a new one Devil's Been Talkin', they slowed it down after that and played Stones Under Rushing Water, and Washed by the Water. The next song was another new one Oohs and Ahhs. These new songs were fantastic and made me really, really excited for the new album to get recorded and released.

They picked things up again and played Let Us Love, and Something Beautiful. Then my all time favorite song sung live - We Could Runaway.  I am one of those people that fully enjoys the concert experience. It is completely confusing to me how people can stand still during a song like We Could Runaway. It is best experienced at the top of your lungs. I really like to get my whole body into it.

After their "last song" they unplugged and came out and did an acoustic version of Valley of Tomorrow. My fan's heart was completely enthralled. I was ready to pounce on the man to my left who insisted on singing along. "Listen sir, if I wanted to hear YOU sing I would have paid YOU"


After they walked off stage they opened the curtain to reveal Bo Rhinehart standing up on the piano like a true star playing the intro to The Outsiders.

They played their title track from the newest record and the audience soaked in every last moment of it. Whatever the band does to get fans leaving wanting more, was in full effect last night. As we left the club there was lots of chatter of how amazing the show was and how they could not wait to see them again. Well done Needtobreathe, well done.

After the show we heard there was a place to wait by the buses for them to come out. I could not miss such a grand opportunity. It was already 10:30 at this point and we had a two hour drive and an early morning ahead of us but that did not seem to phase us. We set a limit of midnight. If they were not out then we would leave. Leaving empty handed was not an option so we took this:
Yes that IS us with the tour bus. Around 11:00 the newest member of the band, Toby, came out. I awkwardly stuck my hand out to greet him. We chatted for a little while then parted ways. Around 20 minutes later he walked back in right as I was shivering he said "you ok?" "yes, just cold" "sorry, they should be out soon"  After he went inside we took a video of us. To take in the moment.

Finally at 11:45 Bo and Bear came out. I asked for a picture. Pleasantries were exchanged. Bear walked away before we could snatch a picture. But we got these!!

Me and Bo Rinehart
Becca & Bo Rinehart
We sat back on the ground with a new determination to see my favorite member of the band, Seth. I have met Seth a few times and each time we have had decently long conversations. He is a really goofy guy who always keeps me in stitches.

Rebecca and Seth Bolt

Me and Seth Bolt. And Joe Stillwell. Thanks Joe.
Despite the social awkwardness coming out of me it was a great evening. I highly suggest going to see Needtobreathe at least once.

Links!!
Check them out!!


2 comments:

  1. Love this story!! That's so awesome!! I'm proud of your crazy random night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEK!!!!! LOVE...moments like those are few and far between...oh to be a free spirit...lol
    We definitely need to hit a Needtobreathe concert up while you're home!! Start checking dates!

    ReplyDelete